The very special stained-glass windows now hanging in the gallery were almost destroyed when the Terry Street Church was demolished. Wrecking crews had arrived; the windows were saved only through the timely intervention of Dr. Mitch Burgess. After several years of storage, they were refurbished and they now enjoy a prominent place in the church gallery. Additional stained-class has been given in memory of loved ones. The south wall of the gallery beautifully displays “The Good Shepherd” in memory of long time pastor, Dr. Donald Grooters. Jay Grooters, designed the beautiful stained-glass in honor of his father.
1968 marked the year the Methodist Church united with the Evangelical United Brethren Church to form the United Methodist Church.
The continuing need for new facilities over time has arisen as our church’s ministries and outreach have impacted the community. Through the devotion and efforts of countless members of this congregation, the ministries of the church have responded to needs of people in the church, the Longmont community and world-wide. With growth in the education program, an additional education wing was added in 1980. In 1990, the narthex and wide hallways were expanded in order to offer a more welcoming fellowship area.
When Rev. Ben Christner arrived in 1937 as the new pastor, he noted that the first thing attended to as part of his ministry was to “care for the Christian Education Program.” New classes and departments were added. “Do the work with Children and youth and you will win the parents” was an old adage even then, and holds equally true today. Our building is home to the Head Start Program (now Wild Plum). Black Top Ministries, CATS Corner after school care and Kids Hope mentoring program are part of our history of providing for the needs of children in the community.
Keep watching this space for more of our history!